[OPLINTECH] Imaging Software

Avery Shifflett shifflav at oplin.org
Wed Dec 13 16:05:55 EST 2006

Mindy,

I use Acronis TrueImage 9.1.  It's really easy to use and has a lot of
features.  It can do an image of the hard drive and also will backup
specific files/folders.  The latter is good on staff machines that don't
regularly need an entire image backup.  Either way, you have options.

Backups can be scheduled ahead of time and will backup to another partition,
drive, across the network, to removable drives, etc.  I have it set up so
that the staff computers turn themselves on periodically (BIOS setting),
TrueImage then kicks in and makes a backup.  When complete, TrueImage sends
me an email to let me know if there were any problems and if the backup was
successful.  When it's done, I have the computers shut themselves off (
<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Utilities/PsShutdown.mspx>
PsShutdown, formerly by SysInternals...now by Microsoft.)  All in all, my
backup routine happens in the middle of the night and TrueImage requires
user intervention only when a problem occurs.

I couldn't ask for a more care-free backup plan.

Avery Shifflett
Carroll County District Library
70 Second St NE
Carrollton, OH  44615