[OPLINTECH] Game PCs for Jim Mann

Nancy Linder Nancy.Linder at orrville.lib.oh.us
Fri Feb 17 17:23:11 EST 2006

Jim--

The YA PC's are off-network with about 8 games loaded on them.  Deep Freeze keeps them clean.  Games include Need for Speed, Boggle, Hoyle's board games, Yahtzee, Jeopardy, and Sorry.  We also put shortcuts to all the installed games like FreeCell, solitaire, etc.  Icon Lock helps keep things in order too.

The children's PCs are also off-network but set up differently.  We had a 14 bay CD-ROM tower so ran 2 PCs off of it as slave and master.  The way they are configured, both PCs can play the same CD-ROM at the same time, but not interactively with each other (does that make sense?).  For the third one, we just made virtual drives on the hard drive and copied the contents of the CDs to those drives.  Works for most games, as long as it doesn't require that the disk be in the drive while it's running.  The games on these are for younger kids--Bob the Builder, Magic Schoolbus, Blue's Clues, Arthur, etc.  We have about 3x as many as fit in the tower, so rotate them out about every 2 months.  Also have Deep Freeze and Icon Lock on these machines.

Feel free to contact me off list if you'd like and I can put you in touch with my Tech guy for more details of config.

Nancy

Nancy Linder, Head of Adult Services
   nancy.linder at orrville.lib.oh.us
         Orrville Public Library