[OPLINTECH] Now you can have a Virtual Computer right in a browser

Chad Neeper (list) cneeper at level9networks.com
Tue Jul 1 17:59:55 EDT 2008

Bob:

At first blush, it appears that you're wrong about the CIPA issue.

I just ran a quick test, logging into a virtual desktop as a guest user,
which is sufficient enough to browse the Internet. From my office, which
doesn't filter, I went to Google images, changed the Google filtering
preferences to not filter and searched on the term "cute girl". No
problems (from an unfiltered searching perspective). I then performed
the same test from a client's location that is using DansGuardian to
filter all Internet traffic. Interestingly enough, the content was
filtered per the DansGuardian policies and my search results were
blocked accordingly.

Apparently the network traffic generated to/from the virtual machine is
piped back down through your browser and through your own Internet
connection. When you stop and think about it, this makes sense at
several levels. For starters, the whole filtering issue. If that's not
enough of a reason, the bandwidth requirements for people browsing the
net from their VMs would be pretty hefty. It makes more sense to make
use of each user's individual network connection.

You had me concerned for a few moments there, especially seeing how easy
it is to fire up a quick guest session without even having a registered
account!

Chad

Chad Neeper
Senior Systems Engineer

Level 9 Networks

--   Full LAN/WAN consulting services   --
-- Specialized in libraries and schools --