[OPLINTECH] Group Policy

JKENZIG JKENZIG at cuyahogalibrary.org
Mon Mar 3 12:50:18 EST 2008

Assuming that your server is a windows 2003 server, have you downloaded
the Group Policy Management Console snap in?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0A6D4C24-8CBD-4
B35-9272-DD3CBFC81887&displaylang=en

It sure makes things easier and shows you what policies are being
applied.

There are so many settings in GPO I am not sure getting them from other
people will help you without the above.

There is a reference spreadsheet you can download that lists all the GPO
settings you can do at:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7821c32f-da15-4
38d-8e48-45915cd2bc14&displaylang=en

Server 2008 coming out very soon has some cool tools associated with it.
One of them I recently blogged about is the Group Policy Accelerator.  A
pre made security policy to get you started.  I don't know if there is
something like that for 2003 though.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a46f1dbe-760c-4
807-a82f-4f02ae3c97b0&displaylang=en

If you have TechNet you can download a copy of server 2008 now and start
playing with it.  If you have or are going to have Vista machines you
will want it to set GPO's on those machines.

Also look for the Server 2008/Vista SP1 launch event nearest you coming
this month Go to the below link to register. This is worthwhile free
event to go to!

http://www.microsoft.com/heroeshappenhere/register/default.mspx

Hope this helps you along some.

Jim Kenzig

Network Manager

Cuyahoga County Public Library

Microsoft MVP Windows Server-Terminal Services