[OPLINTECH] Steady State and computer management software

Josh Proffit jproffit at newarklibrary.info
Mon Mar 3 21:38:26 EST 2008

As of right now I'm using it with Pharos SignUp. It's working great so far. I just enabled disk protection and viola! It even gives a little prompt in the lower right hand corner -for patrons to see once they log on- that says something like "Please save your data to removable media. Disk protection is enabled on this system and any changes that are made will be deleted upon reboot" or something to that effect. The only thing I noticed is that you can't use the built in policy editor for roaming domain profiles. A domain group policy supersedes any kind of policy change you try to enforce with SteadyState. So you still have to stick to group policy manager on your server if you're using a domain profile for your public internet. But the freezing feature is working flawlessly. I have it set to restore the cached image on every reboot and I have Pharos set to reboot every time a patron logs off. Hooray! no more "stuck in an infinite boot loop" computers that DeepFreeze seems to do on occasion. Many thanks again to everyone! :)

Head of Automated Services
Joshua Proffit
740-349-5586
jproffit at newarklibrary.info