[OPLINTECH] Open Source download and Software Freedom Day

Mann, James H. JMann at gcpl.lib.oh.us
Sat Sep 6 12:49:30 EDT 2008

September 20 is Software Freedom Day.
To mark the event the sponsors have prepared an updated version of the Open CD that you can download. The CD contains a number of open source programs including Open Office, FireFox, Pdf Creator, Scribus, Nuv etc. The software on this disk alone could save your library thousands of dollars when compared to commercial alternatives.
You can get the disk here:
http://www.theopendisc.com/faq/distribution-pack/

If you've within easy driving distance of Xenia you're invited to join me and the NASAC computer users group this Thursday at 6:30pm in the Xenia library for a program providing an overview of the programs on the disk. More info here:
http://www.nasac.org/index_files/Page532.htm

Or for an online overview you might look at this:
http://www.komando.com/columns/index.aspx?id=5046

Just a note in passing....GCPL and Goodwill Dayton/TRC have created a recycled consumer computer using the software on the Open CD. With the exceptions of XP and IE the computer uses no commercial software. We hope that this will be an important first step in providing consumers with low-end recycled computers which are functional and productive.

Jim Mann
Technology Coordinator
Greene County Public Library
76 E. Market St.
Xenia Ohio 45385
(937)352-4000 x1210
mailto: jmann at gcpl.lib.oh.us<mailto:jmann at gcpl.lib.oh.us>
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti.