[OPLINTECH] Patron Wireless Management

Eric Maynard emaynard at holmeslib.org
Fri Sep 19 14:08:49 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I posted earlier asking about using Linux based routers to manage patron wireless.  I guess prior to the question of which hardware/software combo to use, I should probably have asked what others are currently doing in terms of management.

What are your philosophies (open vs. managed)?  If open....
Have you had experience with any single user becoming a bandwidth hog?
Have you ever had anyone compromise another users PC or network traffic?

We currently use PUBLICip which is a great service, but as budgets tighten we are looking for cheaper ways to deliver some of these services to patrons at our 5 locations.

Thanks,

Eric Maynard
Head of Information Technology,
Holmes County District Public Library