[OPLINTECH] migrating an asp page

Ron Woods woodsro at oplin.org
Tue Nov 3 14:42:25 EST 2009

Hi Karen:

I have found that Ready to run software has reelased a port of Front Page
Server Extensions 2002 for Windows Server 2008. It looks as if these people
took it upon themselves to work with a few vendors and backport this
technology to Server 2008. There is a 32 bit and a 64 bit version of the
Front Page Server Extensions for Windows Server 2008

You can grab the extensions here

http://www.rtr.com/fpse/

Installation Instructions here:

http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/134/install-frontpage-server-extensions/

also, I downloaded the binary and ran it though Jotti Online Malware
scanner, the 20 Anti-virus/Anti-Malware apps it uses found nothing wrong
with it, definitions all dated today. The link to the results I just ran can
be found below

http://virusscan.jotti.org/en/scanresult/f1bc13548a014d1122c2e775891306ed5ed
3fbff

I don't attest that the file is clean, but it would be reasonable to assume
that it is. Jotti and its 20 different scanners found nothing wrong with the
file in question.

I am not sure if running this software is supported by Microsoft or not, If
it was "me" I would take the risk and try it anyways just due to the simple
fact there is no easy way to port from asp to asp.net. I would backup the
server, and then I would take the risk install the FPSE for Server 2008 and
most likely your pages will work just fine.

That's just my 2 cent, but I don't mind taking calculated risks as long as
the rewards are worthwhile. In this case I think they would be.

Sincerely

Ron Woods
Computer Services Manager
St.Clairsville Public Library