[OPLINTECH] Cymphonix network composer

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Fri Oct 9 10:51:44 EDT 2009

While I'm not specifically familiar with Cymphonix, the system you have
probably can be made to work better with reasonable effort and probably
doesn't need to be scrapped. Usually, content filtering can be adjusted
to meet your needs...either more restrictive or less so. It's all in how
the filter is configured, so if you're not happy with the current
results, you likely have the ability to tweak it.

It sounds like you may need to have someone who is familiar with
Cymphonix...perhaps a Cymphonix tech or the original installer (or at
least someone you trust who is experienced with firewalls/proxies)
...evaluate and perhaps adjust your configuration. Have them check your
DHCP configuration, as Bob mentioned. If it is giving out IP addresses
starting with "10." or "172.16." or "192.168." to the wireless devices,
then you may need to reduce the lease time, again as Bob mentioned. If
it's not giving out IP addresses in that range to the wireless devices,
then you probably have more serious configuration flaws that need to be
addressed.

If the configuration and licensing looks to be correctly configured for
transient users, then it's possible that you may have a bug in the
software. If you haven't done any software updates to your proxy/filter,
with two years having passed, it is likely that you're running older
software that needs updated.

Just some random thoughts,
Chad

Chad Neeper
Senior Systems Engineer

Level 9 Networks

--   Full LAN/WAN consulting services   --
-- Specialized in libraries and schools --