[OPLINTECH] Community Library now running VMware ESXi

Bob Neeper neeperro at oplin.org
Fri May 28 09:07:47 EDT 2010

REF:   http://www.vmware.com/products/esxi/

System was a beefed up Windows 64bit server running  VMware to manage 7
to 9 virtual servers.
As part of an upgrade, Windows was to be replaced by ESXi (free version)

Last weekend Chad  (Level 9 Networks) began the server upgrade.
Short version:
  Backed up everything
  Broke the existing raid into 2 pairs of mirrored drives
  Added a 2TB drive (1 more still to add)
  Reformatted main drives, installed ESXi
  Restored the virtual servers

System performance has noticeably improved !!
Some examples:
  Backup to tape shaved 30 minutes of the circulation server backup
  openSUSE Education (children's dept.) thin clients response greatly
improved
  External response from our websites and PAC greatly improved. Internal
too, of course.
  vSphere client to manage the virtual machines has some nicer features

Probably the main reason for improvement was removing the Windows overhead.
ESXi is dedicated to run virtual machines, Windows is not.
Changing the raid may have contributed also

There are just a few items left to complete in this phase before we
continue to the next.

--
R. W. (Bob) Neeper     Cell: (740)-407-3572
Community Library