[OPLINTECH] patron requests Gimp software on public PCs

Steve Miller millerst at oplin.org
Wed Jul 20 15:51:59 EDT 2011

We have our staff using OpenOffice (".org", but sue me for not using it. lol).

So far, have found no substitute for Publisher or Photodraw. -steep heaving sigh- ... vendor lock-in. So, we still have MS Office around. Scribus just doesn't cut it as a replacement for Publisher.

#48172 on my to-do list is to recomposite all our graphics, service maps, etc, into GIMP from their PhotoDraw originals.

(The GIMP book did help, a little; but the general photoshop approach to graphics editing just never sets into my head for some reason; for love nor money can I get all the books and tutorials to stick in me wee brain - but toss me publisher or photodraw and I'll knock your socks off.) <.< I must just be an old-fashioned kinda guy. (hush Jim, we know you have 12" platters in your back closet. :)

------
Steve Miller, Technology Coordinator
Ashtabula County District Library
335 West 44th Street, Ashtabula OH 44004
** Opinions are my own. If this email goes to an unintended recipient, feel free to LOLZ at ME and move on with your day. Every day is Caturday. Rates based on standard APR of prime+5. Your actual mileage may vary.