[OPLINTECH] Internet Explorer kiosk mode stumper

Ron Woods woodsro at oplin.org
Thu Aug 30 16:19:29 EDT 2012

Hi there Chad, here is a thought you could try.

You can disable any hotkeys by using an AutoHotkey remapping script. Instead
of assigning a command to an AutoHotkey hotkey, you just tell it to do
nothing.

For example You could paste the following script into notepad and save it
with a .ahk extension. If you install AutoHotkey on 1 machine, you can
compile the script into an .exe file so you won't need AutoHotkey installed
on the server.

; If you don't want the kids to know there is a script running, enter this
command at the top of the script.

#NoTrayIcon

; If you only want to disable hotkeys in Internet Explorer, you need to
enter this command at the top. If you do not enter it, it will block all
hotkeys in any program.

#ifwinactive ahk_class IEFrame

; Enter every hotkey that you want disabled in AutoHotkey Syntax

; http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/Hotkeys.htm

; Run this script at startup

^a:: ; this stands for Control-a

F9:: ; this stands for F9 (caret browsing)

F10:: ; this stands for F10 (alternative to alt)

LControl:: ; this should disable all hotkeys with the left control key

RControl:: ; this should disable all hotkeys with the right control key

LAlt:: ; Same for Alt

RAlt:: ; Same for Alt

LWin:: ; Same for Winkey

RWin::

Lshift:: ; you get the picture

Rshift::

WheelUp::

WheelDown:: ; This stands for the Scroll Wheel down command

This script will only disable the Hotkeys for Internet Explorer. It will not
disable hotkeys for other windows programs. You can hide the AHK tray Icon
if you want in script and prevent users from using Task Manager to close it.

You can find more here

http://superuser.com/questions/352758/how-do-you-disable-hotkeys-in-internet
-explorer-9

This may be an easy solution to implement. Hope you get a solution figured
out.

Sincerely

Ron Woods

Computer Services Manager