[OPLINTECH] Hardware purchases

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Tue Dec 18 13:20:51 EST 2012

>From a vendor's perspective, I almost totally agree with Kevin's assessment
with one tiny exception:

"...neither will {vendors with the lowest overhead} be as easy to work with
after the sale should (or should I say "when") problems arise."
I'd just suggest that this isn't a certainty. Local vendors could fall into
this category and could be quite supportive and easy to work with.

As an additional thought, when you take your own organizations in-house
expertise into account, if you work with a non-name-brand (Dell, HP, etc.)
system-builder, it's almost guaranteed that the vendor is using components
that each have their own manufacturer's warranties. You're under no
obligation to go back to the vendor for support. In fact, in some cases,
you may actually get a part replaced faster by going through the RMA
process yourself directly with the manufacturer. In many cases, the vendor
will be using the same processes that you yourself would use to return the
part...adding only additional time to the process.

Also worth knowing:  Just because a warranty given by the vendor is X
years, individual components may actually have longer warranties. Kingston
RAM, for instance, has a limited lifetime warranty. Maxtor hard drives used
to commonly have a 7-year warranty. Etc. The X years indicated by the
vendor is often the maximum warranty on a critical part like the mainboard.
...but if that isn't the part that failed...

Just some random thoughts. Hope it helps.

*Full LAN/WAN consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and schools*