[OPLINTECH] Now I've Heard It All!

Stephen Cram steve at nbpubliclibrary.org
Fri Sep 13 13:56:56 EDT 2013

A patron came in this morning and asked to speak with me.  He explained he
was looking to buy a laptop for his home and asked me about specs and also
if laptops were properly shielded to prevent interference by his elevated
blood chemistry levels and electrical levels.  I asked him what he meant,
and he told me at a previous employment he tried to learn to use their PCs
and they kept locking up and had to be re-booted frequently.  The company IT
guy told him his blood chemistry levels and body electrical levels were too
high and interfered with the PCs processor.

(SIGH)

I told him that would not be a problem with him using PCs now.
He said, "I was told laptops are better shielded than desktops so that's
what I'm going to buy."
Not wanting to make him feel foolish I told him all PCs were better quality
now and not to worry anymore about using them.
He smiled a huge smile and said thank you and went and told his wife that
today's computers weren't effected by "his condition" so they could buy one
for their home.
She was happy - he was happy - we're all happy now.

A case where a careless remark was taken seriously.
I publicly apologize for all the off-hand comments I've made to rookie
computers users and promise to watch my words more carefully.

Stephen Cram
Facilities Coordinator
North Baltimore Public Library

If I send you a message in ALL CAPS, I'm not shouting at you.  I'm just getting a bit absent-minder and forgot to click the caps lock off.