[OPLINTECH] Patrons bypassing computer sign-in system

Amy Deuble adeuble at marion.lib.oh.us
Thu May 29 10:40:45 EDT 2014

We are using Comprise's SAM for public computer sign-up. For the most
part it works fine, but we are beginning to notice an increase in
patrons bypassing the system most likely by running an app from a USB
drive or Smartphone. Occasionally, when a patron has bypassed SAM we
find the computer hung up with a message saying the version of Windows
is invalid. The only way to reset the computer is by unplugging it.
Shutdown or pressing the power button doesn't work. The computers all
have Deep Freeze installed and work fine once they have been reset.

Any ideas on how to prevent this from happening? We don't want to turn
off the USB ports since a patron may legitimately need to save something
to a USB drive. The odds seem to be stacked against us when companies
like LastPass (https://lastpass.com/go-premium/) offer tools like the
one described below. This makes it sound like they can bypass not only
SAM but our filters as well.  Certainly makes things more interesting
for us! J

Tools for Locked-Down Computers

Does your workplace prohibit downloads? Or block access to most external
sites? Utilize LastPass for Applications or IE Anywhere to hook into
your browser by running LastPass from a USB thumb drive, so you can
still access your important data where you need it.

Amy Deuble

Marion Public Library

Marion, Ohio

adeuble at marion.lib.oh.us