[OPLINTECH] Deepfreeze help/advice

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Thu Aug 27 12:34:21 EDT 2015

As a rule, I use Deep Freeze on all patron computers. I haven't yet used
the new cloud-based setup, but I think it's probably the better alternative
over the local-only Deep Freeze Enterprise Management Console. As my
libraries need to renew/change their DFE licenses, I'll probably start
switching them to the cloud managed version.

Typically, I'll install the Deep Freeze Management Console on the Windows
Server so the DFE service runs 24x7 (as just another Windows service). I
usually just launch the Management Console application as needed, though,
and close it when done. (It doesn't need to stay up and running...that's
what the service is for.) I'll usually then install the Deep Freeze stub on
the workstations, which ties them to the Management Console. From there, I
can push out the install and configuration from the Management Console on
the server.

When you need to thaw a computer for management, you have a choice of using
the Management Console on the server to thaw/freeze a (set of) computer(s),
or you can use the local DF interface on each individual computer itself if
you just need to thaw/freeze one or two computers. I DON'T install the full
DF Management Console on each individual workstation. If that's really what
your previous IT person did...not sure the reasoning for that.

With the DF Management Console, you can schedule automatic (or manual)
events. For instance, in the middle of the night, you can schedule your
computers to wake up, thaw them, install Windows Updates, freeze them, and
turn them off again. You should also be able to schedule other custom tasks
to run on the computers during these thawed maintenance windows. (For
instance, my current project is to leverage Chocolatey
<https://chocolatey.org/> to automatically install/update all applications
on the workstations. I should be able to schedule this to occur during the
maintenance window too. This should give me nearly 100% hands-off routine
maintenance over the computers since Chocolatey will handle all of the java
runtime, adobe reader, flash player, browser updates, etc, even for apps
like LibreOffice, gimp or 7zip that don't have auto-update mechanisms built
in.)

In my own typical setup, through Group Policies, I also have the patron
computers configured to auto-reboot when left alone for ~10 minutes. When
rebooted, DF resets them back to a known state and ensures that the
computer is completely clean and ready for the next patron. (While patrons
are encouraged to reboot when done with their session, most simply get up
and walk away sometimes not even closing their browser. Auto rebooting is
just an attempt at protecting patrons from themselves!)

HTH,

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and
schools*