[OPLINTECH] remote control

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Wed Jun 3 13:50:25 EDT 2015

I use either either RDP (Remote Desktop) or VNC, myself. RDP is already
available on all Windows computers and works quite well. VNC requires a
tiny little server agent to be installed on each controlled computer, but
also works quite well and is free. My preferred flavor of VNC is TightVNC,
which is small and pure.

http://www.tightvnc.org

Unlike RDP, the VNC protocol is cross-platform, so pretty much any VNC
client  on any operating system platform can connect to any VNC server on
any operating system platform.

RDP on the server side is pretty much a Microsoft-only thing, but at least
there are clients available for lots of different client platforms
(android, *nix, Windows--of course, dunno about iOS but I assume so).

In a typical network I support, I usually enable RDP via Group Policies and
also roll out the VNC server service on each desktop computer. It makes
remote support easy.

2 cents,

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and
schools*