[OPLINTECH] Windows 10

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Fri Jun 5 12:46:50 EDT 2015

I've not been beta testing Win10, myself. Partly because of time (lack
thereof) and partly because I expect it to be more like a "Win8.2" than a
major overhaul warranting a major version rev. (Travis just confirmed that!)

I've already been deploying Win8.1 on patron computers and using group
policy to make it look and act more like a Win7. Patrons and staff have
been perfectly fine with it. So I'm expecting to start making use of it
rather sooner than I have in the past for new Windows versions. The biggest
caveats will be whether Deep Freeze and any other important applications
support it.

Not too concerned about it, overall.

My own biggest issue is whether or not it's worth the cost to retrofit
existing computers, and if so, at what point (age of computer) it stops
being cost effective. Since most of my libraries don't have their own IT
staff, they hire me to do IT work. So upgrading existing computers can
become a time-consuming (thus expensive) proposition. I'm not so sure I'm
interesting in doing that for computers more than a year or two old. Seems
too much like wasting money. After a couple of years of age, the money is
probably more wisely used by waiting another year or two and just
completely replacing the computers. I dunno...Still mulling it over. At
least we have about a year of free upgrade time during which to decide.

2 cents,

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and
schools*