[OPLINTECH] Flash and Chrome

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Thu Dec 22 12:13:09 EST 2016

Flash has been in the process of being killed off for quite a few years
now. HTML5 is the logical replacement, with media well supported right in
the specs. Flash is so rife with security vulnerabilities that this can't
come quickly enough!! Website developers have been on notice for years
about the demise of Flash, so any website dev still relying on it really
needs to get off his/her duff and make the change or see their web traffic
decline to zero even more rapidly, starting right now.

I believe Google was the first of the major browsers to begin to discourage
Flash's use quite a few months ago, and now to completely disable it by
default in the latest Chrome releases. (I believe you can still enable
Flash on a site-by-site basis...for now.) Firefox has typically been in
lock-step with Chrome, so if Flash isn't disabled in FF yet, I'd expect it
to be soon. Microsoft, of course is the laggard.

Here's one of many links:
http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/9/13903878/google-chrome-block-flash-html5

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and
schools*