[OPLINTECH] Windows Automatic Update Issue

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Wed Oct 17 11:33:25 EDT 2018

Welcome to Win10 Windows Update h*ll on frozen computers (and even
non-frozen computers, really).  LOL!

Yep. DF has developed a problem with Windows Updates and several months ago
was recommending that you turn off the DF Windows Update feature. I'm not
sure if Faronics has the problem resolved yet or not. With the high risk of
DF breaking severely and randomly whenever Microsoft decides to roll out a
Windows Update on Win10, we've taken to running all frozen Win10 computers
through WSUS to keep them from getting Windows Updates at Microsoft's whim.
That way we can vet the updates before they roll out to the frozen
computers and brick them. (Do to the nature of how DF works, there's a high
risk of rendering a computer with DF installed on it completely unusable.
It has happened with two Win8.x major updates and it has happened with at
least one Win10 major update.)

Regarding your specific Windows Update problem:  Since I haven't used the
DF Windows Update feature for a long while now, I'm not sure if DF makes
changes to those policy (registry) settings. But you did mention that
you've turned off that feature in DF, so ostensibly DF would have reversed
the settings if it does modify them.   Alternatively, are these domain
joined computers? If so, you may have a group policy configured that's
modifying how Windows Update is configured.  So that's another place to
look.  If they're not domain joined, you might use gpedit.msc and see if
there's a local policy setting for Windows Update that's working against
you.

HTH,

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and
schools*