[SOA] Celebrate Ohio Archives Month October 2007

Angela O'Neal aoneal at ohiohistory.org
Tue Sep 25 16:22:15 EDT 2007

Dear SOA Members,

The Society of Ohio Archivists will observe the first annual Archives
Month in Ohio in October 2007. To promote the significance of archives,
the Society extended the week-long celebration to an entire month. The
theme for this year is "Reunions: Together in the Archives." Reunions
celebrate connections between people, through a family, school,
religion, organization, town or city. Archives hold thousands of
photographs, manuscripts, and objects, documenting these occasions and
preserving our shared history. As archivists, we encourage you to take
this theme one step further and view archives as not only the repository
for collections relating to family reunions, but also as a meeting place
for reunions. Reunions are yet another way to connect with an audience
that otherwise may have little contact with the archives.

Archives Month 2007 is the fifteenth annual celebration of archives in
Ohio. Through Archives Month activities and exhibits, we hope to promote
public interest in and understanding of archives and archivists, and
emphasize the importance of archives and the need to preserve the
history of Ohio. We hope that this year's broad theme will complement
any programs you may have already planned. Archives, museums, historical
societies, libraries, and other organizations with archival and history
collections are invited to participate in Archives Month this year by
scheduling a special event or exhibit to highlight the collections in
your institution.

Promote Archives-Posters

In the next week or so, you will be receiving copies of the Archives
Month poster in the mail. Each member will receive three posters. Keep
one for yourself and hang the others in public areas in your
institution. If you are involved in any other events (workshops,
meetings, etc.) where you could distribute more posters, please e-mail
me to request additional posters. To view the poster and download
additional copies, visit http://www.ohioarchivists.org/aweek.html
Special thanks to all of the institutions who submitted images for the
Archives Month poster. While we were unable to accept all images that
were contributed, the willingness of the membership to get involved with
Archives Month was greatly appreciated. Six institutions are represented
on the poster: Case Western Reserve University Archives; Logan County
Historical Society; Ohio Historical Society; Sandusky Library;
University of Cincinnati; Western College Archives, Miami University
Libraries. We also appreciate the support of this year's sponsors. The
Ohio Historical Records Advisory Board contributed $1000 for the poster
and the Ohio Historical Society donated poster tubes. Special thanks to
OHRAB and OHS for their support!

Get Involved-Programs, Events, Exhibits

If your institution is hosting a program, event or exhibit for Archives
Month, let SOA help to promote it! Archives Month events are listed on
SOA's website at: http://www.ohioarchivists.org/aweekevents2006.html To
list an item, send me an e-mail with the details and contact
information.

Some suggested activities include:

*	Hold a kick-off reception with a featured speaker on the
importance of preserving archival records, eg., an archivist or
librarian, researcher, or local government official. Don't forget to
invite the press!
*	Distribute and display the official Archives Month poster. SOA
members will receive three posters to distribute. Contact Louise Jones
at ljones at ohiohistory.org for additional posters
*	Develop a website consisting of your institution's contributions
to the Ohio Memory Project. http://www.ohiomemory.org
*	Send press releases to local media, including a description of
your archival materials, an article using research from the materials in
your collection, or photographs of some of the most interesting
materials in your collection.
*	Contact your local government officials and organizations in
your community to let them know about Archives Month. Offer to speak
about your collection and what resources in your collection could be of
use to them. Or (if possible) offer to be a repository for their
historic materials or offer your expertise in helping them organize
their archives.
*	Create a display some of your materials in your institution.

Sincerely,

OHIO ARCHIVES MONTH 2007 COMMITTEE

Louise Jones, Chair

Angela O'Neal, Council Liaison

Angela O'Neal
Digital Projects Manager
Ohio Historical Society
(614) 297-2576

View our collections online:
http://www.ohiohistory.org/resource/archlib/
<http://www.ohiohistory.org/resource/archlib/>

JP Morgan Chase presents Once Upon A Dime: The World of Money, organized
by The Newark Museum, on exhibit at the Ohio Historical Center Museum in
Columbus from September 1, 2007 through April 1, 2008. Discover the
fascinating story of money from the barter system to digital dollars
through a series of family friendly hands-on activities. Visit
www.ohiohistory.org/dime for details.

Are you a member? Membership is more valuable than ever, with four
featured exhibits scheduled during the next 12 months! Learn more today
at www.ohiohistory.org/about/mem.html
<http://www.ohiohistory.org/about/mem.html> .

OHIO HISTORICAL SOCIETY

Connect with the past. Create a better future.