[SOA] FW: Free Security in the Archives workshop, May 16

Carleton, Janet carleton at ohio.edu
Tue Apr 23 14:26:12 EDT 2013

From: Lois Hamill [mailto:hamilll1 at nku.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 2:19 PM
To: 'judith.wiener at osumc.edu'; Carleton, Janet
Subject: Free Security in the Archives workshop

As part of an NEH grant I received, I am able to offer the workshop described below.  The instructor co-teaches a longer version of this workshop for SAA.

I am offering this opportunity to archivists and others who work with archival records who would benefit from specific training on security.

Would you please electronically send the message below to SOA members.  I hope that some of them will be able to attend.

Thank-you for your help in sharing this educational opportunity with your members!

Lois

April 23, 2013

You are invited to attend a free workshop on security for archival records whether they are in the public library's local history room, a university archives, at the local historical society or a museum.  This workshop is intended for those who work or volunteer in these types of settings.  It won't address general library security issues.

Presenter Mimi Bowling is an experienced archivist specializing in archival security.

Please feel free to repost this or share it with others.

[cid:image001.jpg at 01CE402C.BAC6EA20]                        [cid:image002.jpg at 01CE402C.BAC6EA20]

Security in the Archives Workshop
at Northern Kentucky University

Northern Kentucky University was awarded a National Endowment for the Humanities Preservation Assistance Grant for a security assessment of the W. Frank Steely Library's Special Collections and Archives.  Additionally, the award included funding for a workshop on security for archival collections.

What:  This half-day workshop will introduce participants to some of the tools and techniques that can help protect archives, libraries and other cultural resource institutions from theft and mutilation of their holdings.  The workshop will examine the nature of the problem - the big business of theft of historical materials, what is at particular risk, who the thieves are and how we can identify them - and will explore the problem of insider theft.  Participants will learn about the management of researchers in reading rooms and of visitors to historic sites, and will be introduced to methods of collection management to enhance the protection of collections.  The workshop will also address the steps that should be taken in the aftermath of a theft.

Who should attend:  Archivists, librarians, curators, and any staff of libraries, special collections, archives, historic houses and historical societies and museums.

When:  Thursday May 16, 2013 9:30 am - 12:30 pm

Where:  W. Frank Steely Library, Northern Kentucky University, Highland Heights, KY 41099

How:  There is no charge for this workshop, but NKU charges a small fee for parking.  Attendees are requested to register at:  http://nkuarchives.eventbrite.com

Questions?  Contact Lois Hamill at hamilll1 at nku.edu<mailto:hamilll1 at nku.edu> or (859) 572-5863

The W. Frank Steely Library Special Collections and Archives Security Assessment and Training Project is funded by a National Endowment for the Humanities Preservation Assistance Grant. Any views, findings, conclusions or recommendations expressed in this workshop do not necessarily represent those of the National Endowment for the Humanities.

Lois Hamill, C.A.
University Archivist
106A Steely Library
Northern Kentucky University