[OPLINLIST] CD Review Sources

Stephen Schoener schoenst@oplin.org
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 13:42:16 -0500

--------------000104090008050207050805

I find AllMusic.com to be the best source for finding both new and older
title reviews.  If a title is very brand new, it may not offer a review
right away.  But it often does.  And it's pretty good for building up
the back catalogue of an artist as well as finding many newer reviews.
It is also great for finding writers of songs, what album a song came
from, an artist's discography and biography, and more.  The company
offers a variety of books that list artists and their work and offer
reviews ["AllMusic Guide to (Rock, Country, Blues, Jazz, Electronica,
etc)"].  For folk, I use "MusicHound Folk."  For "classical" and reggae,
I use "Rough Guide to (insert genre)."  Try the AllMusic website, too.
But I think having the books on hand to scan for holes in a collection
as a starting point, refining by using the website, is essential (to me
at least).

http://www.allmusic.com

Getting a single music review chosen by the website is pretty
subjective, but it does give you an idea of the opinions out there on a
work or what the work is generally like.  And it's also very good for
finding that single album that you might want to represent an artist's
work (a compilation or an album that's considered their best) instead of
buying four or five titles by an artist.  That helps with saving money
and space.

If you're using those huge, expensive catalogues to look over
discographies, like Phonolog (can't remember the name anymore, but I
think that's it), stop!  Not worth it.

============================

Elizabeth Glasgow wrote:

> I am looking for suggestions anyone might care to offer about sources
> for CD reviews to supplement  what I am currently using.  Ideally, I'd
> like to hear about library sources that provide reviews for both
> current and older recordings that can be searched by either artist or
> title, but all recommendations are welcome.  I can take suggestions
> directly but will be happy to share results with anyone who is interested.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Elizabeth Glasgow
>
> Elizabeth A. Glasgow
> Reference Librarian
> Newton Falls Public Library
> Newton Falls, Ohio 444444
> (330) 872-1282
> Fax (330) 872-9153
> www.newtonfalls.org <http://www.newtonfalls.org>

--------------000104090008050207050805

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
I find AllMusic.com to be the best source for finding both new and
older title reviews.&nbsp; If a title is very brand new, it may not offer a
review right away.&nbsp; But it often does.&nbsp; And it's pretty good for
building up the back catalogue of an artist as well as finding many
newer reviews.&nbsp; It is also great for finding writers of songs, what
album a song came from, an artist's discography and biography, and
more.&nbsp; The company offers a variety of books that list artists and
their work and offer reviews ["AllMusic Guide to (Rock, Country, Blues,
Jazz, Electronica, etc)"].&nbsp; For folk, I use "MusicHound Folk."&nbsp; For
"classical" and reggae, I use "Rough Guide to (insert genre)."&nbsp; Try the
AllMusic website, too.&nbsp; But I think having the books on hand to scan
for holes in a collection as a starting point, refining by using the
website, is essential (to me at least).<br>
Getting a single music review chosen by the website is pretty
subjective, but it does give you an idea of the opinions out there on a
work or what the work is generally like.&nbsp; And it's also very good for
finding that single album that you might want to represent an artist's
work (a compilation or an album that's considered their best) instead
of buying four or five titles by an artist.&nbsp; That helps with saving
money and space.<br>
If you're using those huge, expensive catalogues to look over
discographies, like Phonolog (can't remember the name anymore, but I
think that's it), stop!&nbsp; Not worth it.<br>
============================<br>
Elizabeth Glasgow wrote:<br>
 cite="mid000f01c49c03$498d52d0$1b010880@mediagroup.nfpl.org">
might care to offer about sources for CD reviews to supplement&nbsp; what I
am currently using.&nbsp; Ideally, I'd like to hear about library sources
that provide reviews for both current and older recordings that can be
searched by either artist or title, but all&nbsp;recommendations are
welcome.&nbsp; I can take suggestions directly but will be happy to share
results with anyone who is interested.</font></div>
Reference Librarian<br>
Newton Falls Public Library<br>
Newton Falls, Ohio 444444<br>
(330) 872-1282<br>