[OPLINLIST] Update on the State budget and the State Library

Jo Budler JBUDLER at sloma.state.oh.us
Thu Feb 7 13:31:43 EST 2008

As you all know, the State of Ohio is experiencing financial
difficulties due to the economy.

Recently the Office of Budget & Management (OBM) requested that state
agencies submit plans to their office based on two budget reduction
scenarios: (1) a 10% reduction and (2) a 16% reduction.   These
reductions were for the current fiscal year (July 1, 2007 - June 30,
2008) and the upcoming fiscal year (July 1, 2008 -- June 30, 2009).

The State Library plan was submitted on January 30.

On Thursday, January 31, Governor Strickland held a press conference
that addressed the budget reductions for cabinet level agencies.
Although the State Library is not a cabinet level agency, we watched
with great interest as we know that the decisions affecting the cabinet
level agencies will clearly be reflected in the decisions affecting all
state agencies.

OBM is reviewing the plans from non-cabinet level agencies at this time.

These cuts will be very difficult for the State Library to absorb.  We
have been affected by a number of cuts since 2000.  Our staffing numbers
have decreased dramatically, going from 130 in September 2000 to 87
positions (the current number).   Six of these positions are assigned to
OPLIN.  No institution can absorb such a cut without adapting services
and we have certainly done so.  Further changes may be necessary if
there are additional cuts.

We understand that there is no easy answer: we must do what is necessary
of our need to provide a local match and continue maintenance of effort
in order to ensure that LSTA funds will continue to be granted to Ohio.
We were very conscious of this as we created our plan.

This note is intended to share information with you and not to cause any
alarm.  Once we know the impact to the State Library, I will get that
information out to the entire library community.   Thank you.

Jo Budler, State Librarian

State Library of Ohio

274 East First Ave, Suite 100, Columbus, OH  43201

Phone:  614-644-6843; 800-686-1532 (Ohio only)

Fax: 614-466-3584

http://www.library.ohio.gov

"The State Library of Ohio provides services and resources to assist
state government and libraries in providing the best service to all."