[OPLINLIST] book stumper

Poppy Girton girtonpo at oplin.org
Wed Jun 4 17:54:54 EDT 2008

I think it's called The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas-- a short story
by Ursula LeGuin. As I recall, it's about a happy, perfect society based
on the selection (the sacrifice) of one child in each generation who is
forced to live in squalor and darkness. When the others of the
generation come of age, they are made aware of that sacrifice upon which
their easy lives are based, and some walk away.

Poppy Girton
Head of Adult Services
Carnegie Public Library
Washington Court House, OH 43160