[OPLINLIST] Ohio government information through OPLIN

Stephen Hedges hedgesst at oplin.org
Wed Jun 18 08:43:15 EDT 2008

Because of budget restrictions, OPLIN will no longer be providing
subscription access to Ohio Capitol Connection starting July 1. Libraries that
wish to continue access to OCC on their own should contact the vendor:

Rotunda, Inc.
21 W. Broad Street, Suite 1000
Columbus, Ohio 43215
614.227.5820 (phone)
614.228.5897 (fax)
info at rotundacollection.com

You may also want to try the Gongwer web-based Ohio government news and
legislation monitoring services. Trial access can be arranged by contacting:

Gongwer News Service, Inc.
17 S. High Street, Suite 630
Columbus, Ohio 43215
614.221.1992 (phone)
614.221.7844 (fax)
gongwer at gongwer-oh.com

OPLIN will be including a search of the ohio.gov domain in the new Ohio Web
Library search tool, starting July 1. This should provide basic access to Ohio
government documents that are freely available on the Internet. Over the
course of the next year, one of our goals is to improve this access.

One thing that is not freely available on the Internet is the detailed
reporting of Ohio government activities that is provided by the _Hannah
Report_ and the Gongwer _Ohio Report_. OPLIN will be providing limited access
to both of these publications, as described below.

> _The Hannah Report_ for Ohio public libraries

Hannah News Service will distribute up to two (2) copies of their daily Ohio
government newsletter, The Hannah Report, to up to 200 Ohio public libraries,
effective July 1, 2008. "Public library" is defined as either a main or branch
library facility.

Distribution will be of the pdf copy of The Hannah Report sent via e-mail
through OPLIN to libraries that request it. One copy may be sent to the
library Director or the Director's designee. This copy is to be used for
administrative purposes and may be printed and distributed to the library's
professional staff in the receiving facility. This copy is NOT for public
access or for distribution in print, by electronic distribution, or other
means to non-library personnel, except that specific issues of particular
interest to the library may be distributed in print to the library Trustees.

A second copy may be sent to one library staff e-mail address for daily
printing for patron reading. The intent is for this print copy to be placed
with other newsletters for patron perusal, in a notebook or other binding.
This e-mail copy may not be re-distributed via e-mail, posted on a public
website, or otherwise distributed electronically. The library may maintain a
single copy of each issue of The Hannah Report in any department or
departments within that library facility. (Government Documents, Social
Studies, Education, Health and Human Services, General Newsletter
Collection, etc.) Patrons may print single copies of this printed copy of The
Hannah Report. The Hannah Report is not to be distributed to other library
locations.

OPLIN will maintain a listserv for distribution of The Hannah Report. In the
past year, we have been automatically sending the Hannah Report to libraries;
now you must specifically request it. Please send an e-mail to
director at oplin.org asking to be added to the Hannah listserv and indicate if
the copy is to be used for library administrative purposes or will be used for
patron reading.

> Gongwer's _Ohio Report_ for Ohio public libraries

Gongwer News Service will distribute one (1) copy of their daily Ohio
government newsletter, The Ohio Report, to up to 200 Ohio public libraries.
Additionally, libraries will receive automated alerts that detail activity on
bills and issues of specific interest to the library community. "Public
library" is defined as either a main or branch library facility.

Distribution will be of the html version of The Ohio Report sent via e-mail
through OPLIN to libraries that request it. OPLIN maintains a listserv for
distribution of The Ohio Report; the content is protected by federal copyright
law, so list members may not forward or redistribute The Ohio Report in any
way. The e-mail messages received from this list will contain a list of
"headline" links to stories in the Ohio Report, but these links only work if
you have a regular Gongwer subscription and password. The entire Ohio Report
will be attached, however, as a file with a date in the name, like "Jun25.htm"
and can be read with any web browser or with many e-mail programs.

If you currently receive The Ohio Report through the OPLIN-Gongwer listserv
and want to continue receiving it, do nothing; you will automatically continue
to receive it after July 1. If you want to be added to or removed from the
Gongwer list, please send an e-mail to director at oplin.org.

--
Stephen Hedges, Executive Director
2323 W. 5th Avenue, Suite 130