[OPLINLIST] Zero Balance

Georgiana huizenge at oplin.org
Wed Nov 12 15:23:55 EST 2008

We have been doing "food for fines" from Thanksgiving until Christmas for
years.  As you said, it's worth its weight in gold in good will.  Half of
the food we collect goes to the Ottawa County Holiday Bureau, and the other
half goes to a local food pantry.  Many folks actually donate items as well
as pay the fines.  I send letters to the area churches every year about the
program and they usually put the letter in their church newsletter.  I also
notify the schools.
Also, we never purchase bookbags unless there is a special occasion like
Nat. Library Week or Summer Reading - the staff usually brings in their
plastic bags from their own purchases.
I also had coffee and cups(they have the name of the coffee shop on them)
donated by the local coffee shop for book discussion, and our Christmas
party is generally a brunch at my house with everybody bringing something.
I do think that in spite of the fact that Ohio libraries have been very well
financed, we have been good stewards of the public's money.
Georgi Huizenga