[OPLINLIST] Food for Fines

Susan Pieper susanhillpieper at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 15:31:59 EST 2008

We sponsored a food for fines program for almost a decade. But when we
started receiving food items that had been rejects from the local food
pantry, and when we had people calling in March, asking when our food for
fines program would be held, we realized that this was yet another program
that many patrons would abuse. We discontinued the program a couple of years
ago. When patrons would call throughout the year, asking when the program
was, we told them that we would not be hosting a food for fines because we
found that patrons were keeping their items until the end of the year. We
need those items back on the shelf. We did, however, continue to put our
shopping cart out for folks to bring in their donations to the food pantry.
We still do this throughout the year. But, it is amazing how little we get
donated when people realize they are getting nothing in return. Human
nature, I guess. Gee... I'm even depressing myself.
I still love libraries and library users and am passionate about the concept
of public libraries!
Susan

--
Susan Pieper, Director
Paulding County Carnegie Library
susanhillpieper at gmail.com
ALA Councilor-At-Large (2007-2010)
ALA-APA Councilor (2007-2010)
PLA Board of Directors
ARSL Board Member ex-officio
(Association for Rural & Small Libraries)