[OPLINLIST] Rental versions of DVDs

Margaret Maddox MMaddox at wcpl.lib.oh.us
Tue Dec 1 15:01:21 EST 2009

I have a question about what other libraries are doing regarding rental versions of DVDs.

Fox/MGM and Paramount are producing two editions of selected theatrical DVDs, a rental version (for rental stores and libraries) and a retail version (for the consumer market such as Best Buy, Wal-Mart).

Fox/MGM requires distributors to sell only the rental version to libraries.  The good news is that both the rental and retail version will be released on the same date and will cost the same.  The bad news is that the rental version will be available only for 60 days after the release date through our main vendor, Baker & Taylor. Lately it's been hard to get the rental version from Baker & Taylor so we've had to order from Amazon.

Paramount will sell either the rental or retail version to libraries, however, the rental version will be available 6 to 8 weeks before the retail version. The rental version may or may not contain bonus features and will cost about $12.00 more than the retail version.

Are other libraries going to pay the $12 premium to get a high-demand title? If so, will you be deciding to do it on a title-by-title basis?  For example, you'll purchase some copies at the higher price because the demand is expected to be high, or the film had a huge box office return?

By the way, our library is seeing over a 20% increase in DVD circulation compared to last year.

Margaret Maddox
Technical and Information Services Manager
Washington-Centerville Public Library
Centerville, OH 45459
www.wclibrary.info<http://www.wclibrary.info/>