[OPLINLIST] Laptop policies and practices for children

Megan Johnson mjohnson at starklibrary.org
Thu Feb 24 10:01:38 EST 2011

We lend laptops at our branch in Stark County to adults and children 12-years-old and older.  The laptops are checked out to customers for 7 days and are physically in their possession for that time.  They can be taken home (or to wherever a customer can access wireless Internet)  and/or brought back to the library for use during the checkout period.  All customers must check out a laptop with their personal library card.  The card must be active for at least three months prior to laptop checkout and have no fines.  Children 12 and older must have a parent or guardian with them at the time of checkout to sign the laptop loan agreement.  The agreement details the laptop loan policy: seven day checkout, no renewals, $3.00 fines for each day overdue, and a $500 replacement fee.

We set the age limit at 12 because that seemed like a reasonable age at which a child could independently use the laptop, as well as comprehend the responsibility of having it in their possession for the lending period.   Also, it prevents parents of very young children from using their child's library card to check out a laptop because their personal card has substantial unpaid fines.

There is no locking device.  The laptops must be logged on by library staff before checkout but once that happens, they can be shut down and turned back on by customers.  If a customer accidently logs out, they have to return the laptop to the library for a staff member to log back on.   We explain that at checkout and it rarely happens.

Hope this is helpful!

Megan Johnson
Madge Youtz Branch Manager
Stark County District Library