[OPLINLIST] library temperatures

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Wed Aug 20 12:10:25 EDT 2014

A side note on this topic:

When considering warm temperatures, please also keep in mind a general rule
of thumb for electronics and computers:  "If it's too hot for you, it's too
hot for the computers."

Computers don't do well at all in heat. They much prefer the cold. In
hotter temperatures, you'll see increased errors, failure rates, and
shortened lifespans. Please keep this in mind if you turn off your A/C or
dial it up during closed hours. (Presumably, most of your computers will be
turned off while the library is closed, but the ones that are left running
will suffer.....Your server, switches, wifi, etc. are typically on 24/7)

At 75 degrees the fans in the computers will work harder, but they'll
probably still be ok. I just figured that if you're adjusting the temp to
save money, you'll probably also making more significant temp adjustments
during closed hours.

Just something to keep in mind in case you start seeing a sudden increase
in computer problems.

*Chad Neeper*
Senior Systems Engineer

*Level 9 Networks*
740-548-8070 (voice)
866-214-6607 (fax)

*Full LAN/WAN consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and schools*