[OPLINLIST] Fwd: Tech in 60 minutes

Bob Neeper neeperro at oplin.org
Fri Feb 21 09:18:12 EST 2014

A few years ago a staff member held scheduled computer classes, once a week 2
hour duration.
They covered various topics and were well attended.
Class evaluations were submitted including what other classes were wanted.

Then we added, twice a month,  30 minute walk in classes (for training or PC
problems), with 3 staff available for 2 hours.
This way, people did not need to repeat classes but got individual attention.
These were not attended quite as well and always a bit scarey, not knowing how
many would show at the same time.
We added a day or two before sign in to have an idea of what and how many to
prepare for.

We provided laptops in the meeting room for both programs.

My opinion: Appointments are best. Especially for a limited number of trainers.
    Allows for possible subject preparation by the staff member.

Now, people call and are matched to a staff member to help / train.
Walk-ins are still welcome but it's pot luck.

Along with the above, for years, there has been an informal 'drop it off and
I'll look at it' option.
There always seems to be a need for this type service.   At least 11 in 2012, 20
in 2013, and 6 already this year
Usually s/w related sometimes h/w.

When we get new / faster laptops the formal classes may resume.

Email Signature

R. W. (Bob) Neeper
Community Library  <http://sunbury.cool-cat.org>
44 Burrer Dr.Map  <http://maps.google.com/maps?q=40.243961,+-82.863007>