[OPLINLIST] Call for Membership in Ohio Digital Network Advocacy Working Group

skupfer@library.ohio.gov via OPLINLIST oplinlist at lists.oplin.org
Thu Mar 2 08:20:58 EST 2017

Good afternoon,

The Ohio Digital Network (Ohio's service hub for the Digital Public Library of America) is seeking members for its Advocacy Working Group, to build upon the work done during the DPLA-Ohio application project<http://www.dplaohio.org/>.  Responsibilities include development of educational materials and training for cultural heritage institutions interested in sharing their digital content through the Ohio Digital Network.  The working group charge is as follows:

*        Develop a strategy to promote awareness and use of the Ohio Digital Network and DPLA, particularly among educators

*        Develop promotional materials regarding the value and richness of the Ohio Digital Network and DPLA.

*        Assist in the development of orientation materials for both content providers and users.

*        Develop a training curriculum for medium and small sized organizations to use in year two and onward
Members are not required to participate in the Ohio Digital Network, and extensive experience with digitization is not necessary, but some practical knowledge of digital collection-building by way of digitization is  required.

The pilot project is slated to last for three years.  During this pilot period, we will develop educational materials as well as nailing down the logistics of how the working groups will work.

Because we're just starting, we'd like to ask some of you to commit to a three year term, and some to commit to a two year term.  After this initial phase, all terms will be two year, but we don't want everyone to rotate off at the same time.

The time commitment will likely entail meeting virtually once a month and in person 1-2 times a year, in addition to a few hours of work outside the meetings each month.  Our first items of business are to review our charge and the essential educational requirements of Phase Two and Three institutions (those not quite ready to share content with the Ohio Digital Network but who currently have digital collections and are interested in future participation).

If you are interested in participating in this statewide project, or if you have any questions, please respond to this email by March 9 and more information will be provided at that time.

Shannon Kupfer
Digital and Tangible Media Cataloger
State Library of Ohio
(614)995-4115