[OPLINLIST] fake news resources

Marisha Sullivan via OPLINLIST oplinlist at lists.oplin.org
Mon Mar 20 10:46:32 EDT 2017

The News Literacy Project is actually also on my reading list. I've looked
at their "Checkology" platform, which provides a lot of information, but it
is designed to be used over a long term and I have 45 minutes. I do intend
on using some of their videos and concepts in the classroom. Their methods
and core concepts are extremely similar to those presented by the SPLC.
However, I think that neither presents a model which is feasible for
libraries, meaning that we need to synthesize our own lessons. I also want
to examine my own ideas about library neutrality and bias in our
profession, so I'm looking into that from multiple sources as well. Here's
what I have so far:

http://www.tolerance.org/magazine/number-52-spring-2016/feature/shifting-out-neutral
(for my own self-examinations)

http://www.randomhouse.com/highschool/RHI_magazine/active_citizens/freyfisher2.html
(this was recommended to me, needs to be researched)

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/12/health/social-media-brain/ (this is an
article on a study. The study is pay-walled, but it's a good read if you
can get it)

http://www.npr.org/2016/04/15/474348291/why-teens-are-impulsive-addiction-prone-and-should-protect-their-brains
(regarding social media the feedback loop of confirmation bias)

http://www.ifla.org/publications/node/11174 (and the IFLA site in general)

https://kf-site-production.s3.amazonaws.com/publications/pdfs/000/000/230/original/Youth_News.pdf
(How young people navigate the news and information landscape)

https://www.ted.com/talks/carol_dweck_the_power_of_believing_that_you_can_improve
(I honestly don't remember why this is on my reading list)

Michael Patrick Lynch (philosopher who takes on a lot of information,
political science, and internet topics)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/teaching-in-the-post-truth-era_us_58597f2de4b0630a2542361b
(this isn't super valid as a source, but the author brought up some great
thinking points and it's a great way to start thinking about news and media
literacy)

http://www.tolerance.org/blog/learning-how-know-2017 (This is what started
me on this whole thing)

List of topics to cover in the module:

   - bias
   - connection to systems of power/privilege
   - whose voice is missing from the narrative?
   - raw v processed information

Marisha Sullivan
Teen Librarian
Ashtabula County District Library