[OPLINLIST] FW: NEO News:NOTSL, Nominations for Trustees, Virtual Reality, Communication and Young Entrepreneurs

Melissa Lattanzi lattanzm at neo-rls.org
Tue Apr 23 11:30:03 EDT 2019

Difficulty viewing this email? Click here...<http://neo-rls.org/v_newsletters/newsletter_5405807.htm>

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D4F9C7.E3AEF850]
NEONews April 23, 2018

Weekly Update

  *   A Note from the Research and Innovation Coordinator
  *   Register for Spring Workshops and Webinars Today
  *   Young Entrepreneur Pitch Challenge
  *   Continuing Education to Print and Share
  *   Nominations are due by April 30th for those wishing to run for open Board of Trustees seats.
  *   Awards Committee Still Needs a Volunteer
  *   NOTSL Spring Meeting
  *   Myers-Briggs Communication

Continuing Education to Print and Share
The new  <http://https/www.neo-rls.org/docs/NEO-RLS_CE_Program_Gu%20ide_0119-0619.pdf>  Winter/Spring CE Guide<https://www.neo-rls.org/docs/NEO-RLS_CE_Program_Guide_0119-0619.pdf>  that lists all the workshops, webinars and network meetings for January - June 2019 is available.  Be sure to share this with your staff. Please let us know if you would like a printed and bound copy mailed to you.  In addition, here  is the one-page  CE @ a Glance<https://www.neo-rls.org/docs/0419_NEO-RLS_CE.pdf>.
Nominations are due by April 30th for those wishing to run for open Board of Trustees seats.
Interested in running for the School Library Trustee seat or for one of the three At-Large Library Trustee seats?  You must submit your signed form no later than end of day, April 30 th.  Thank you!

Awards Committee Still Needs a Volunteer
We need people interested in creating, overseeing and monitoring NEO-RLS awards.  Please contact  Betsy Lantz<mailto:betsy.lantz at neo-rls.org> or  Kim Garrett<mailto:kimg at kinsmanlibrary.org> for more information.
NOTSL Spring Meeting

NOTSL will hold its Spring Meeting on Thursday, May 23, 2019, at Cuyahoga County Public Library’s Parma-Snow Branch Auditorium, 2121 Snow Road in Parma, Ohio.

Kyle Banerjee, Oregon Health and Science University, will connect current data migration issues to our shared past. Bring your ideas and questions to discuss how mere mortals can migrate complex systems to build the services of the future. Sarah Weeks from Oberlin College will discuss data management best practices to allow the ILS to best fulfill its dual purpose of connecting users to information and helping library staff make data-driven decisions. There will also be a panel discussion where Anna Hood (Kent Free Library), Leslie A. Engelson (Murray State University) and Roman Panchyshyn (Kent State University) will share experiences and answer questions regarding data migration and maintenance.

Registration is now open for Can a Catalog Spark Joy? Catalog Maintenance for Management and Migration.   All are welcome; membership is conferred on all attendees.

Visit NOTSL’s website<https://notsl.org/> for full program information and to register.

Myers-Briggs Communication
An ideal complement to the introductory workshop, “Understanding Your Myers-Briggs Personality Type,” this workshop will focus specifically on how you can use your Myers-Briggs personality type to maximize your communication skills and your teamwork abilities.

Learning Objectives:

  *   You will discover what your unique strengths are with respect to communicating with others and how you can enhance your strengths to project your message clearly and effectively to your team or staff
  *   You will be able to recognize, understand and appreciate key differences in communication skills, those that often lead to miscommunication if unaware and underutilized
  *   You will be able to implement successful strategies to help you navigate your communication skills to effectively reach all communication styles and differences
Join Holly Klingler on Tuesday, April 30, 2019 <https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51174> at Westlake Porter Public Library.

A Note from the Research and Innovation Coordinator
[https://myneotoday.org/photos/35595_02132017081803.jpg]I was recently talking with a friend about the amazing aspects of virtual and augmented reality. I mentioned that libraries are starting to embrace and utilize these kinds of technologies today. He stopped and said, “No offense, but how can libraries use virtual reality and augmented reality? What place to they really have at the library?” I was shocked by his response because I already know libraries that have implemented these immersive technologies in incredible ways. I said that libraries have always provided the best and most accessible methods for learning available. What better way to learn about and explore Mars than to see it in first person as a VR astronaut? If a traveler is curious about the sites in Paris, they can visit and learn about the sites before ever stepping foot out of their own community. Especially for those who cannot afford such experiences, giving them an opportunity to explore Paris within their library is invaluable, and libraries are all about equity and accessibility. If a student is doing an informational or argumentative paper about what it is like to be a cop or a prisoner, for example, they can put themselves in both pairs of shoes and not only obtain information and insight but empathy and understanding as well.  I told him, in other words, immersive realities like VR and AR are made to be in libraries.

Our 2019 Emerging Tech Symposium <https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51193> is all about immersive realities like augmented reality and virtual reality. Learn from John MacLeod who coordinated the California Virtual Reality Grant and was able to install an impressive 200 VR systems in underserved libraries in his state. Hear from Pete Schreiner, 2019 Library Journal’s Mover and Shaker, on ways to effectively provide VR in your library space. Discover how to use augmented reality in your programming through real-world testing and usage, and much, much more. The event will be held on Thursday, June 6, 2019 at the Hilton Garden Inn in Twinsburg. You can register HERE<http://bit.ly/2019EmergingTechSymposium> . Library services are going beyond the real world and we hope to see you there.

Holly Klingler
Register for Spring Workshops and Webinars Today

A Firm Grasp: The Nonverbals of Influential Leaders [Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52429>
04/26/2019
Programming for Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities [Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52423>
04/29/2019
Myers Briggs Communication<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51174>
04/30/2019
Serving Forgotten Patrons: Libraries in the Fight Against Alzheimer's Dementia <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51093>
05/01/2019
Collaboration Connection: Planting the seeds to building successful community partnerships <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51155>
05/02/2019
A Day for Public Service<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51156>
05/08/2019
Gripes, Grumbles and Grievances: Improving Labor-Management Relations through Effective Communication and Grievance Processing <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51160>
05/09/2019
RDA in Practice: Enrichment vs. Original Cataloging<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51177>
05/14/2019
Free Tools for Working with Graphics and the Web<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=50994>
05/15/2019
Early Literacy 101-An Ohio Ready to Read Workshop<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51149>
05/16/2019
Construction and Facilities Network Meeting-Focused on Architectural Design Process <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52341>
05/16/2019
2019 Directors' Retreat: Steps to Stress Free Leadership<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51194>
05/22/2019- 05/23/2019
HR Stuff that Every Supervisor Should Know <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51095>
06/05/2019
2019 Emerging Tech Symposium: AR/VR- Immersive Realities<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51193>
06/06/2019
Academic Library Directors' Networking Meeting <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52234>
06/07/2019
Creating a Resume Review Program for Your Library<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51096>
06/11/2019
Caring for the Mind <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51154>
06/12/2019
Day for Circ Staff: It's All About Myers Briggs and Working as a Team<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51161>
06/13/2019
Team + Work = TEAMWORK<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=51097>
06/19/2019

Fiscal Officers and Human Resources Network Meeting<http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=52233>
06/21/2019

Young Entrepreneur Pitch Challenge
Roughly 65% of children entering elementary school will likely work in jobs that don’t currently exist, according to the World Economic Forum. How can we create library programs that prepare children and youth for a workforce that we can’t predict?

One way is to be among the first to offer a fun, easy-to-implement new program that helps teens learn essential workforce readiness skills and develop a mindset for 21 st century careers. The Young Entrepreneur Pitch Challenge is a simple set of activities that support creativity, problem solving, critical thinking, and presentation skills. It was created for afterschool/out-of-school settings like libraries. The challenge is easy for you to implement, and fun and rewarding for participants.

The Young Entrepreneur Pitch Challenge Toolkit <https://www.youngentrepreneurinstitute.org/high-school/national-pitch-challenge/> includes everything your library needs to launch a Pitch Challenge.
Access the toolkit here:
www.youngentrepreneurinstitute.org/high-school/national-pitch-challenge <http://www.youngentrepreneurinstitute.org/high-school/national-pitch-challenge/>

Want a preview of what your results might look like? Check out these elementary and middle school pitches www.youngentrepreneurinstitute.org/k-8/selling-bee <http://www.youngentrepreneurinstitute.org/k-8/selling-bee/>
and high school www.youngentrepreneurinstitute.org/high-school/young-entrepreneur-pitch-challenge <http://www.youngentrepreneurinstitute.org/high-school/young-entrepreneur-pitch-challenge/>

Contact Liz Nusken, liz at oanohio.org <mailto:liz at oanohio.org> , to get involved or with any questions.

Template 1 - NEONews April 23, 2018