[OPLINLIST] Lynda.com/LinkedIn Learning News

Don Yarman don at oplin.ohio.gov
Thu Aug 27 15:15:59 EDT 2020

Next week, LinkedIn will begin contacting libraries about migrating from
Lynda.com to the new LinkedIn Learning platform. *There is nothing you need
to do at this time*.

As you might recall, a year ago the transition from Lynda.com to LinkedIn
Learning was controversial, as (among other issues) library users would be
required to have LinkedIn accounts to use the resources. Library
transition to the new platform was abruptly halted, and after several
months of study and negotiation with national library leaders, LinkedIn
announced that library patron access to the new platform would require only
a library card number and PIN: no LinkedIn account would be required, nor
any other information from library users.

As the message next week will say, LinkedIn plans to migrate libraries to
the new platform starting January 25th. I am talking with our contacts
about the timing of Ohio library migrations. Our principal concern is that *the
current agreement with Lynda.com for statewide access expires June 30, 2021*,
not long after the platform migrations are to happen.

OPLIN will soon release an RFP for statewide access to career skills
resources. It is possible that Lynda/LinkedIn Learning will be selected for
renewal; it is possible that an alternative proposal will be selected. The
outcome of the RFP process will give us better guidance on how to schedule
next steps with LinkedIn Learning.

                    Don Yarman
                    Director, Ohio Public Library Information Network
                    2323 W Fifth Ave Suite 130, Columbus OH 43204
                    don at oplin.ohio.gov | 614.728.5250