[OPLINLIST] FW: NEO-RLS News: Gold Member Benefits, Many COVID-19 Resources and Webinars, and Email Congress

Melissa Lattanzi lattanzm at neo-rls.org
Tue Mar 24 14:54:20 EDT 2020

Difficulty viewing this email? Click here...<http://neo-rls.org/v_newsletters/newsletter_7238807.htm>

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D601EC.18C14FC0]
NEO-RLS News-March 24, 2020
A Note from the Executive Director, Betsy Lantz
[https://neo-rls.org/photos/59194_02102020090245.jpg]I am always excited when I hear from libraries about the ways in which they use the many resources that we work to provide for our members.  So very many of the workshop and webinar ideas come from all of you and it is wonderful to see the widespread benefit.  When I heard about Westlake Porter Public Library’s new staff development program I knew we needed to share it with everyone.  Pam Linger was gracious enough to write our Note for today and provide the links for their entire year-long program.  Please take a look! I guarantee you will be wowed with the thought that has gone into their program and I suspect that many of you will want to use parts of it or the whole for your own staff development.
​
Betsy
Pam Linger, Sr. Human Resource Manager,
Westlake Porter Public Library
Good Use of the Gold Level Membership
[https://neo-rls.org/photos/60683_03232020095311.jpg]Westlake Porter Public Library believes that staff development opportunities for employees are crucial to efficient, up-to-date library operations as well as to employee morale and satisfaction.  To that end, I’m always looking for creative and engaging ways to provide continuing education training to library staff.  I’m sure that my colleagues face the same challenge.

So, how to create and implement a training program for our library in 2020.  My “AHA!” moment occurred when I realized that NEO-RLS offers over 200 quality archived webinars that they have recorded over the last four years.  As the saying goes, “Why reinvent the wheel?”    As a Gold Level Member, employees may attend as many webinars as they want, at no additional cost to our library!

I began by sorting the webinars into three groups –  for managers, for professional and paraprofessionals, and for all staff.   My idea was to designate some of the webinars as mandatory and some as optional for each of the groups.  It was important that mandatory webinars covered our core values (e.g., The Ohio Ethics Law webinar).  Click here for the complete Training Plan<https://www.neo-rls.org/docs/NEO_Training_Plan_by_Levels.xlsx> .  A training tracking spreadsheet, accessible to all managers, was also created.

The feedback from staff members has been positive.  Employees must get approval from their supervisors to schedule time to take a webinar.  Headphones are available in all departments, ensuring that employees do not disturb others when listening to a webinar. Additional benefits are that the webinars are providing job enrichment opportunities for staff.  For example, a Page may take an optional webinar on a Youth Services topic, if that is of interest to him or her.  In addition, the on-line training has freed up time on Staff Day so that we can focus on team-building or other fun events.

Westlake Porter Library has met its training goals for 2020.  The training plan is sustainable as NEO-RLS is constantly offering new webinars and archiving them.  That ensures that we will be able to offer new webinars to employees in subsequent years.  Live training opportunities are also planned throughout the year.
Many Webinars and Archives to Choose From

Free Tools for Working with Graphics and the Web [Featured Archive] <https://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo_responsive.php?eventid=56960&org_id=NEOL>
03/25/2020
Teaching Better Behavior: Social-Emotional Learning in Library Programming [Featured Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=56858>
03/26/2020
But I Saw it on the News [Featured Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=56971>
03/27/2020
Team + Work = TEAMWORK [Featured Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=56974>
03/30/2020
To Tag, or Not to Tag? Implementing RFID at Your Library [Featured Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=56975>
03/31/2020
Encore Entrepreneurship: Serving 50+ Patrons [Featured Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=56844>
04/01/2020
Creating a Culture of Yes [Featured Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=56976>
04/01/2020
Spanish in a Pinch for Library Staff [Featured Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=56977>
04/03/2020
The Road to Copyright Clarity, Part 2 [Featured Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=56888>
04/06/2020
You Can Be the Expert-Tech Troubleshooting with Confidence 201 [Featured Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=56982>
04/06/2020
Teen Programming: A Mover & Shaker's Recipe for Impact and Success [Featured Archive] <http://mms.neo-rls.org/Calendar/moreinfo.php?eventid=56980>
04/07/2020

SEE MORE<http://www.neo-rls.org/v_newsletters/article_161378221.htm>
Resource Pages
During these challenging times NEO-RLS is happy to gather valuable resources in one location for your convenience.  Please take a look at these continually updated pages.
COVID-19 and Libraries<http://bit.ly/COVID-19NEORLS>
Online Programming Resources<https://bit.ly/NEORLSProgrammingResources>
If you have ideas you would like to share, EMAIL Holly Klingler<mailto:holly.klingler at neo-rls.org>.
Families First Coronavirus Response Act
Scott Warrick has put together a comprehensive article about Families First Coronavirus Response Act.  Click HERE <https://scottwarrick.com/content/COVID-19-BY-SCOTT-WARRICK.pdf> to view it.
How To Combat COVID-19 Related Misinformation

On Friday, March 20th, The EveryLibrary Institute hosted a webinar on How To Combat COVID-19 Related Misinformation .  ​Now you can watch the webinar on-demand for FREE <http://www.everylibraryinstitute.org/covidmisinformation?e=b71b3fb0b7d2b15043fc9b11a75d9ef5&utm_source=votelibraries&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=covid19_webnarslides_nonattend&n=2> .

Email Congress Now

The American Library Association is working with Congress to advocate for libraries and the stimulus package <http://cqrcengage.com/ala/app/thru?ep=AAAAC2Flc0NpcGhlcjAxaMDm6E5pT_7KUeELc5bcd4ZlUk-t7Me761e4r4J-Xbsser0lQUneLaI5VKX6CG4h5vsKWMeWqDPQGvgTt7OD19pdkjYpEDtBO2FWGYc7wNao69JS8YqJQyvBxKcHv0pWbX57O9fEee6ZnMaovJ4aT3cD_jgO5Pzv7sF93aKkyHCTXX0g1BKjzOsNQvOgrH9Ja29K654Jv3E9SqRdKJitgS1UXIdj77zoMqj3oDWuTEVBnCVgMloz9jHoYvh31YJE&lp=0> , but we need you to add your voice and underscore the urgency of the need. Can we count on you to send an email today? Use our template <https://cqrcengage.com/ala/app/take-action?engagementId=506918&ep=AAAAC2Flc0NpcGhlcjAxbtl2xTA64-QGxB0PYqcaVVGnA0Mwl7IkQw6Zj-Ra9pZSVHsi5O4hQIsw6On7DuMH9PUOD0fs3baguV5mv-KX3IX6RcaIyaqwOB-2alELzhc&lp=0> or visit: ala.org/advocacy/contact-congress <http://cqrcengage.com/ala/app/thru?ep=AAAAC2Flc0NpcGhlcjAxMnz3c_7iX7WIjIFSlnCF72sKGdGzuz_Zjn26c_BCOQN_hrHQ7_3ODzNkz-icBsYVQnzMxvytBQf2hI47C5_n8X1FL0OwJHotmrboxDAkF8N11c_RfLeB3Xzm-s2056X3F2t79GKFkSZNVt76asONK5CU5firP0sadRa3L9cns5w&lp=0>

Libraries Stepping Up! Serving the Needs of Communities in Crisis

Library 2.0 holds special broadcast webinar for Libraries Stepping Up! Serving the Needs of Communities in Crisis ,  held in conjunction with  PCI Webinars <https://library20.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=bf8826a75ddf212559c711f65&id=9f22bc847d&e=5d1ec8678e>  and Andrew Sanderbeck.

DATE & TIMES:  Thursday, March 26th, 2020 | 1:00 - 6:30 pm US-Eastern Time <https://library20.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=bf8826a75ddf212559c711f65&id=66a291cf04&e=5d1ec8678e> (4 one-hour sessions with 1/2-hour breaks)

COST: Free
REGISTRATION: To register for the mini-conference, please join Library 2.0 <https://library20.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=bf8826a75ddf212559c711f65&id=ece191c3cb&e=5d1ec8678e> .
Click HERE <https://www.library20.com/page/crisis> to view the entire line up of sessions.
Ohio Valley Group of Technical Services Librarians Conference Postponed
Due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, the Ohio Valley Group of Technical Services Librarians (OVGTSL) is postponing its 2020 conference until May 2021.

READ MORE<http://www.neo-rls.org/v_newsletters/article_161362335.htm>
Have Something to Share
If you have something you would like to share with all of our libraries, please consider writing a short Note for the newsletter.  Sharing ideas and projects is a hallmark of those that work in our libraries and we would love to feature your idea or project.   EMAIL Betsy Lantz<mailto:betsy.lantz at neo-rls.org>.
Template 1 - NEO-RLS News-March 24, 2020