[OPLINLIST] Paper Shredder for public?

India Houston ihouston at mrcpl.org
Mon May 13 11:43:01 EDT 2024

Hey Gerry,
    Just a thought, maybe also consider library size and location in your
decision. The shredding intake for a smaller branch may be dramatically
different that of an inner city library.  Great that you want to do that
for your patrons.🙂

On Mon, May 13, 2024 at 10:21 AM Sarah Schmitkons via OPLINLIST <
oplinlist at lists.oplin.org> wrote:

> Hello Gerry,
> The Amherst Public Library has an office sized shredder by each
> copier/printer and it has never been an issue with too much shredding at
> any given time.  It is very nice for the patrons to have access to a
> shredder in case they print a document and realize they don't need it. They
> can shred it instead of worrying about sensitive information going in the
> trash.
> Sarah Schmitkons
>
> On Mon, May 13, 2024 at 9:12 AM Tamra Hess via OPLINLIST <
> oplinlist at lists.oplin.org> wrote:
>
>> Hello Gerry,
>>
>> The East Palestine Library does not have a public shredder in-house.
>> However, through the Friends of the Library, we offer bulk shredding twice
>> a year in our parking lot.  A commercial shredding company is contracted
>> for two hours on a Saturday morning and community members are limited to
>> five bags or five boxes.  It has been a very popular service for years.
>>
>> Tamra Hess, Director
>> East Palestine Memorial Public Library
>> 309 North Market Street
>> East Palestine, OH 44413
>> 330-426-3778 (phone)
>> 330-426-4950 (fax)
>>

>> On Fri, May 10, 2024 at 12:18 PM Gerry Vogel via OPLINLIST <
>> oplinlist at lists.oplin.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Staff and members of the public keep asking for a self-serve paper
>>> shredder.
>>>
>>> We have concerns about noise, maintenance, etc.
>>>
>>> Does anyone out there offer this? I have visions of people with boxes of
>>> paper on carts lining up ... the sort of use a community shred truck is
>>> more suited for.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Gerry Vogel: MLIS, Ohio CPL
>>> Assistant Director, Avon Lake Public Library
>>> 32649 Electric Blvd. Avon Lake OH 44012 www.alpl.org
>>> tel: 440-933-8128 x239  fax: 440-933-6406
>>> "I'd rather fail with a purpose than succeed for no reason" - Nam June
>>> Paik

>>> ****** Patron privacy is an essential tenet in libraries. When they
>>> access a research database--ANY research database--why not make it safer
>>> for your library's patrons? OPLIN does this for you for *free.*  Hit us up.
>>> https://www.oplin.ohio.gov/services/authentication******

>> ****** Patron privacy is an essential tenet in libraries. When they
>> access a research database--ANY research database--why not make it safer
>> for your library's patrons? OPLIN does this for you for *free.*  Hit us up.
>> https://www.oplin.ohio.gov/services/authentication******

> ****** Patron privacy is an essential tenet in libraries. When they access
> a research database--ANY research database--why not make it safer for your
> library's patrons? OPLIN does this for you for *free.*  Hit us up.
> https://www.oplin.ohio.gov/services/authentication******

--
India Houston
Mansfield-Richland County Public Library