[OPLINTECH] Category 2 E-rate Funds

Larry Ritchie lritchie at tusclibrary.org
Mon Aug 21 10:07:16 EDT 2023

We did Cat 2 to pay for new APs, firewall, cabling & switches for 5 buildings.

As for advice I'd say its important to get a walkthrough done BEFORE you do the project so you know exactly what you need and then figure out what it'll cost so you can budget accordingly and you can have a realistic idea of what to tell vendors who apply your budget and how you want things done.

When you do the project its good to insist on walkthroughs from the companies bidding, that way you can get a sense of who is worth working with and who isn't. We had one vendor who clearly wasn't qualified, thankfully they weren't the lowest in price but its easier to disqualify if you've actually talked to them and have reasons to point out why you don't want to work with them. Also was surprised at how many vendors just watch the e-rate website and will try and bid.

With multiple walkthroughs people will bring up stuff you hadn't thought of previously too which is good.

Expect to go over budget unfortunately. Once you get into the project stuff will come out that no one realized during the planning process.

Would recommend hiring a consultant to help w the process, the paperwork and stuff is a nightmare.

We literally just did this a few months ago so I'm open to sharing more about our experience if anyone is interested.

Thanks Larry

[photo]
Larry Ritchie
IT Manager, Tuscarawas County Public Library System

Office: 330.364.4474 ext 235

Cell: 330-983-6941

lritchie at tusclibrary.org

www.tusclibrary.org

121 Fair Avenue NW, New Philadelphia, OH 44663