[SOA] HB139

Heise, Robin rheise at co.greene.oh.us
Tue Nov 27 15:15:14 EST 2018

I hope that everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

As many of you may know, I've been working with the Legislative Committee of the Ohio County Archivist and Records Managers Association on new legislation that would open up permanent records 100 hundred years after their creation. There's just a few weeks of work yet to be done in the Ohio General Assembly before the 132nd flips to the 133rd.  We would LOVE to get HB 139 through by the time they break at the end of December.  Otherwise, we start all over and our current success at getting it passed unanimously through the House is essentially vacated.

There are a few things that you can do to help.

  1.  Send positive vibes tomorrow around 10:00.  Fred Previts, Pari Swift and I will be providing proponent testimony to the Senate Government Oversight and Reform Committee.  We need this to make it out of committee quickly!
  2.  If you would like to offer future proponent testimony, let us know.  We can get you the witness form and contact.  It looks like the GOR committee meets around 10:00 most Wednesdays.
  3.  Write your State Senator in favor of HB 139.  This is quick and easy.  We've attached some fact sheets and some of the House testimonies so that you have some ideas and are inspired with your own.  If your Senator is on the GOR<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.ohiosenate.gov_committees_government-2Doversight-2Dand-2Dreform&d=DwMFAg&c=2VZYbtYJv2D8M43KsrFplYR_K_qvRt8ALW9zIemmNsU&r=96N2Xln1tQ5ybaNCzz0QYaogkbhQB0zpLS4WDkRpin8&m=PN7NdzPMBf80yxfZt6iqwDdE0hIo77h73MVnqxRZOfQ&s=e-o89ZR2zdW8wziJd0E12rwFQ5YB2KGiGZ3e2m3__Qs&e=>, writing them ASAP is really important so that the bill stays at the top of their mind and continues to make it on the committee agenda.  Here's where you can find your Senator.<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.legislature.ohio.gov_legislators_find-2Dmy-2Dlegislators&d=DwMFAg&c=2VZYbtYJv2D8M43KsrFplYR_K_qvRt8ALW9zIemmNsU&r=96N2Xln1tQ5ybaNCzz0QYaogkbhQB0zpLS4WDkRpin8&m=PN7NdzPMBf80yxfZt6iqwDdE0hIo77h73MVnqxRZOfQ&s=OCDnrZSSKfzuohdmRp37WsSK8enuZF_6EKx-Nn2GPRA&e=>  If you have political connections that you know would favor the bill, encourage them to write as well.  Your letters don't have to be long.  They just need to make it clear that you support HB 139.  If you write your Senator, please let me know. I'm keeping a running list of everyone who has been contacted.

Anything each of you can do to help make HB139 through one General Assembly will be greatly appreciated!! We've all been working on this for so long, let's make one last push to move this bill forward to become law!!!
Thank you in advance!

Robin

President, Society of Ohio Archivists 2017-2019

Robin Heise
Records Manager/Archivist
Greene County Records Center and Archives
535 Ledbetter Road, Xenia, OH 45385
Tel: (937) 562-6489
Fax: (937) 562-6485
Email: rheise at co.greene.oh.us<mailto:rheise at co.greene.oh.us>