[OPLINTECH] Courtesy Email Delivery Issues

Whetsel, Shawn swhetsel at akronlibrary.org
Mon May 18 11:30:13 EDT 2015

Matt,
                I just fixed this after years of complaints about bounced messages from certain patrons, and only some of the time. We were getting over 1000 "554" error every morning from TWC, AOL, Windstream, and the like because our reverse DNS lookup or PTR did not exist. Only some providers require the PTR for SPAM prevention, so it's not everyone that would have the problem. So if you are look at one of the bounced emails and see a 554 error, you just need to contact OPLIN and have them add a reverse DNS record pointing to the IP address of your originating notice server. Give it a few days for the providers to update their DNS.
Shawn Whetsel
Network Services Coordinator
[cid:image001.jpg at 01CF6492.FFBD69C0]<www.akronlibrary.org>
Phone: 330-643-9161